Central Lincoln People's Utility District Coastlines newsletter - Central Lincoln People's Utility District

Commercial Service Requirements

IMPORTANT: Printed copies of this document are available at all CLPUD offices.
You can view and/or print a .PDF version of this book below:

a kid, building


Section A - General Information Section D - Meter Requirements
Section B - Temporary Services
Section C - Underground Service MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION


Welcome to Central Lincoln
This handbook provides you with Central Lincoln People's Utility District requirements for new or altered electric service for permanent non-residential electric service installations of less than 600 volts. This handbook covers multi-family and nonresidential services such as commercial buildings, condominium complexes, apartment buildings, and mobile home parks.

The handbook contains information that will help you to answer questions like:

  • How do I install a temporary meter base?
  • How do I install a permanent meter base?
  • Where should I install the meter base?
  • Where will the service route be?
  • What are the size requirements for the meter base?
  • How do I install underground service?
  • How do I install my meter base?
  • How do I get the existing underground utilities located before I dig?
  • The answers to these and many other questions are here. If you have any additional questions, please call your nearest service office. You'll find a directory of these offices here.

    Information regarding the installation of permanent, single family residential services, barns, and garages is available in Central Lincoln's Residential Services Electric Service Handbook. Electric Service Handbooks are available free of charge from any Central Lincoln service office.

    If you have any general questions regarding billing, if you want to establish service, or if you're ready to have your service hooked up, call your local Central Lincoln office.

    Getting Started
    Service can be obtained for your project by calling our service office, and providing the following:

    • Legal description for property, including site address.
    • Survey of property with orientation to quarter-section.
    • Plat map of property, including Assessor's Map and Tax Lot numbers.
    • Road right of way with entrance to property.
    • Load data sheet for 3-phase services.

    Note: Several of the above plans may be included in one drawing. After you have begun a Customer Request For Service and delivered Central Lincoln your plans, the engineering technician can then begin the design. (AutoCad drawings of your project are recommended, if available.)

    Beginning Your Customer Request for Service
    Before Central Lincoln can begin working on your project, a Customer Request For Service must be established. Please contact our nearest service office to start the request. A representative will also request billing information. There is a processing fee to establish a new account. This fee will be included on your first service bill.

    Temporary vs. Permanent Power
    Temporary power is generally used for the construction phase of your building project. Temporary power may be installed as either overhead or underground service (see Temporary Service Section).

    All new permanent power installations will be underground. Permanent power is provided after your structure is built and meets all the requirements stated in pertinent sections. (Central Lincoln will continue to serve existing overhead service installations.)

    Requesting Service
    Before Central Lincoln installs your new service you must contact us and begin a Customer Request for Service. That request provides Central Lincoln's field personnel with the information they need to install your permanent service.

    When you call to order your temporary or permanent service, a representative will ask you the following critical questions. Please be prepared to answer them, as your answers will help determine how your project is handled.

  • What type business is this service for?
  • How many square feet in your building?
  • Will you have electric heat or gas?
  • Will you have a heat pump, furnace or zonal heating?
  • Will you have gas or electric water heat?
  • What voltage rating is required for your service?
  • When will you be ready for service?
  • Inspections and Codes
    This handbook should be used as a guide. It does not cover all possible federal, state, or local code requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that your project complies with the most recent issue of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and any other federal, state, or local codes that may apply.

    Once your service equipment is installed, the state requires that your service equipment installation pass an electrical inspection before we connect you to our system. Electrical inspections are performed by different agencies, depending on your location. See below for your local electrical inspection agency.

    Electrical Inspection Agency
    Area Office Phone#
    Lincoln County Lincoln County Planning Dept. (Electrical) 541-265-4195
    Newport Newport City Hall 541-574-0627
    Lane County Lane County Facilities Dept. 541-997-2251
    Florence Florence City Hall 541-997-8237
    Douglas County State Building Codes Division 541-684-3594
    Coos County State Building Codes Division 541-396-2148
    Lakeside Lakeside City Hall 541-759-3011
    Reedsport Reedsport City Hall 541-271-3606

    Contacting Other Utilities
    New construction typically involves the installation of water, sewer, telephone cables, cable television cables and natural gas lines, as well as power cables.

    It is your responsibility to notify each of the utilities that you wish to provide service to your project. You should get the name and phone number for a contact at each utility and let each of them know which other utilities will be providing you service. Check your local phone book for their numbers.

    Meter Location
    You are required to install your meter base in a place that is accessible to Central Lincoln. All locations are subject to approval by a Central Lincoln representative. If you have questions regarding meter location, call our nearest service office.

    • It must be outside.
    • It must be located on, or within 4' of, the side of your building closest to normal public access.
    • It must be in an area that is not likely to be fenced.
    • It must be located on a structure that is owned by you and be 5 to 6 feet above finished ground level, unless on underground pedestal. Then it must be 3-6 feet above finished ground level.

    The reasons for these requirements are:

  • So Central Lincoln's meter readers can read your meter in a safe and cost-effective manner.
  • So Central Lincoln can efficiently maintain the meter.
  • So employees can stay out of your fenced yard.
  • If you have a fire, we can disconnect your service.
  • Due to the corrosive climate along the Oregon coast, we recommend that you use a corrosion-resistant meter base that is state-approved.

    For conventional buildings, the meter base should be placed on the street-side exterior of the building, or a maximum of four feet around the corner from that wall (See shaded area in Figure A-1). As an alternative, a pedestal may be placed away from the building, such as near a street or driveway, with approval of Central Lincoln Engineering Department.

    Service Types
    We offer the following standard types of services for non-residential customers:

    Single-phase 120/208 volts, 3 wire*
    120/240 volts, 3 wire**
    "V"-phase 120/240 volts, 4 wire***
    Three-phase 120/208 volts, 4 wire
    120/240 volts, 4 wire
    277/480 volts, 4 wire

    * Available only if 120/208 volt secondary is existing at the location at the time of application for service.

    ** Available for loads up to a maximum demand of 100 kW. Larger loads may be served if determined feasible by the Customer's engineer. (No motors shall exceed 7-1/2Hp.)

    ***Not available for new construction, except for small loads (25 HP maximum) in areas where a full 3-phase system is not available.

    Removing and installing meters
    Only authorized and qualified Central Lincoln personnel shall remove and install meters. In special circumstances, exceptions may be granted to qualified electrical contractors by contacting Central Lincoln's meter department or customer service department and receiving approval. With some types of meter bases, removal of the meter does not de-energize the customer's system.

    Building Near Central Lincoln Facilities
    During construction of a new building, or any other structure, caution needs to be taken regarding existing underground or overhead powerlines and facilities.

    The customer will be responsible for any damages to Central Lincoln equipment, or any encroachment on clearance requirements that requires relocation of facilities. Check with Central Lincoln before any excavation or construction to avoid conflicts.

    Locking and Sealing of Electric Service Entrance Equipment
    You are required to provide a means of access to all service entrance equipment. In the event this can't be accommodated, you need to obtain Central Lincoln approval for equipment location, or provide means for a dual locking system.

    The dual locking mechanism must provide an attachment system to accommodate a lock for your use and a Central Lincoln lock for our access. The mechanism must be approved by Central Lincoln before installation.

    In the event this cannot be accommodated, you will be required to move the meter, or the metering equipment, outside of the locked area to a location approved by Central Lincoln.

    All service entrance equipment, including interrupting mechanisms, CT enclosures, main breakers, and disconnect switches located ahead of the Central Lincoln meter, must have provision for installation of a Central Lincoln seal.

    Back to Contents      To Next Chapter      To Home Page